Saturday, September 29, 2007

traffic control

Although I slept until 12:30 p.m., today was a success thus far. I replied to the 15 emails that have been patiently starred in my inbox and bought music…which I have been itching to do for about a month now but too damn broke to do anything about.

I bought Gulag Orkestar and the Lon Gisland EP by Beirut--whose newest album I am waiting for patiently.

I also picked up the Please Clap Your Hands EP from the Bird and the Bee, which is very fun.

Vinyl-wise, I got some much-needed Betty Davis, Wilson Pickett and Billie Holiday’s Solitude. I found a bunch more stuff that I wanted, but had to contain myself. Until next week, at least.

Music makes me so happy. I don’t understand people who don’t get excited about music…or films…or books. There is all this wonderful stuff out there (sure, there’s shit too) to make our usually mundane lives more interesting--why not experience it?

Speaking of films, I saw 2 Days in Paris (Julie Delpy’s latest) last week, after another one of my meltdowns. I took my mopey ass to Landmark, got myself a box of Snowcaps and sat in the empty theater--until a cute boy came in. He turned to me and said “I knew it would be packed in here, but this is crazy.”

I laughed and was slightly embarrassed of the makeup that was all over my face from sobbing and the chronic sniffling that followed. The movie was good though--funny, true to life (the relationship part at least) and it did the trick, which was to get me to stop crying for an extended period of time.
I really want to see Traded, a new movie about sex trafficking in Mexico City. I think I just might take Beth to see it tomorrow after work.

So, I’m trying to think of a way to disguise this blog while taking the archive with me. But I want to be able to make some of the archived entries private. I just worry sometimes about whether or not it will have an effect on work and I also worry for my safety--since I’m usually pretty up front about what I do/where I go. This is not smart.

I’m trying to be smarter these days. Take my vitamins, read more, you know...

3 comments:

rkkitchen said...

the new album is rad -- you can get it on iTunes already if yer ass wasn't a Luddite.

Here are little homemade videos of all the songe on it anyhoo: http://flyingclubcup.com/


moved in to new joint. come visit.

jenny said...

oh man. getting it now. what are you doing thursday?

rkkitchen said...

i am going to their concert, we have been over this.

it is yer birfday. ill bring you a cake. where ya gonna be?